The 12-hour Bharat Bandh, called by as many as 12 central trade unions on Wednesday, has affected the normal life including train services and vehicular activities across Odisha.
Around 12 trade unions which includes AITUC, INTUC, Bharat Hind Mazdoor Sangh and CITU have called a 12-hour strike across the country regarding 12-points charter of demands. The demands to stop the disinvestment and privatisation of PSUs and to withdraw the proposed anti-worker amendments in labour laws, have forced the central trade unions to give a strike call across the country.
The activists have blocked the roads in some major locations in Bhubaneswar by burning tyres. They also demonstrated in front of corporate houses, various banks while some trade union agitators took out a rally in the state capital by shouting slogans against the Centre.
The protesters also held the routes of Duranto Express, Bhubaneswar-Bolangir Inter City Express and Puri-Bikaner Express at the city railway stations.
Meanwhile, in Sambalpur, the protesters have detained Sambalpur-Puri Inter City Express train at Khetrajpur railway station for about half an hour.
The trade union activists staged rail roko and blocked roads in Balasore while some agitators blocked the NH-57 in Nayagarh, stopping buses and other heavy vehicles.
All private schools, filling stations and trading establishments were also closed.
The demands of the trade unions:
- Urgent measures to contain price-hike through universalisation of public distribution system
- Ban on speculative trade in commodity market
- Contain unemployment through concrete measures for employment generation
- Strict enforcement of all basic labour laws without any exception or exemption and stringent punitive measure for violation for labour laws
- Universal social security cover for all workers
- A minimum wage of not less than Rs 15,000 per month with provisions of indexation
- To assure enhanced pension not less than Rs 3000 per month for the entire working population
- To stop disinvestment in Central and state PSUs
- To stop contracts in permanent perennial work and payment of same wage and benefits for contract workers as regular workers for same and similar work
- To Remove all ceilings on payment and eligibility of bonus
- Compulsory registration of trade unions within a period of 45 days from the date of submitting applicationsand immediate ratification of ILO Convention C 87 and C 98
- No amendments in Labour Law
- No FDI in Railways, Insurance and Defence