Bhubaneswar: At least 50 houses were gutted and a 35-year-old mason was charred to death while he was deep asleep, during a slum fire in the state capital on Friday. The deceased was identified as Krushna Behera. While trying to escape from fire or douse the flame some others sustained minor injuries, sources said.
The fire believed to have originated from kitchen of one of the houses of Mangala slum located near Unit-IV Fish Market, reduced 50 houses to ashes, before fire tenders reached the spot. While some houses with asbestos roof could be saved, but those with thatched and polythene tops were destroyed within minutes. The details of the property loss in the fire were yet to be estimated, sources said.
Several political leaders, government officials and social workers visited the spot. Asked about the steps taken so far, Bhubaneswar (central) MLA Bijaya Kumar Mohanty and BMC mayor Ananta Narayan Jena stated all efforts were being taken to provide relief to the affected families.